My mother-in-law purchased us an Instant Pot last year, I honestly never thought we’d use it, like ever. I just didn’t get what the hype was all about; another pressure cooker, yay? Turns out, even though I don’t use it a ton, I do use it pretty frequently.
One of our favorite things to make in ours is shredded beef using a chuck roast. Its simple, delicious, and filling. Our local grocery store has their roasts on sale all the time, usually a “buy one, get one free” sale. It’s great, cook one now and save the other for a later time, which usually ends in me having a ton of roasts in my freezer.
My sister-in-law shared this recipe with me, after I complained about never being able to get the roast tender enough to fall apart in my slow cooker… now it is pretty much my go to when I cook the roast.
Its simple; just throw everything in the instant pot and forget about it for a while. The longer you let it sit during the “cool down period” the more tender it will be; putting the baby down for a nap? No problem. Need to vacuum the living room before guests arrive? You’ll have plenty of time.
Check out below to see how easy your next meal could be!
- Chuck Roast 2-3lbs
- 1 package brown gravy
- 1 package Italian dressing seasoning
- 1 package ranch dressing seasoning
- 4-5 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut roast into chunks (this will make the meat more flavorful and tender) and layer in Instant Pot
- Sprinkle seasoning/gravy over the meat, order doesn’t matter.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add water until meat is covered
- Cook on high for 40 minutes, then leave in warmer for 30 minutes; the longer you leave it in the pot, the more tender it will become and the easier it will be to shred.
- Shred meat with a fork.
Today, we had mashed potatoes and spaghetti salad as sides, but its a very versatile dish that goes with many different things. My niece loves it with dumplings and my husband with egg noodles.
Give it a try and let us know what you think!