No bakes, or as my mother-in-law calls them, boiled cookies, are one of my favorite cookies.. if not thee favorite. We always made them when I was younger, I make them every Thanksgiving/Christmas, or whenever I’m in the mood for them, and when I do make them I take some to the cemetery for my family members buried there (also their favorite cookie). I guess my point is, there is never really a time when we don’t have these cookies made.
Its a well known cookie; peanut butter, chocolate, oats. What’s not to love about them?
Down below is the recipe I follow when making the cookies.
- 1 stick salted butter (1/4 lb)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 (4 Tbsp) cocoa
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups rolled oats (quick 1-minute)
I use whole milk, you don’t have to. Same with the vanilla… I always use the real stuff when baking.
- Mix butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil one minute (this is important, if you do not boil for one minute the cookies will not set up)
- Remove from the stove and add vanilla, peanut butter, and oats; stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Drop onto waxed paper or cookie sheet in teaspoonfuls.
This makes about three (3) dozen cookies.
Now you, too, can make these awesome cookies. Best served with a glass of cold milk.