I love baking, it’s one of my favorite things to do and the kids enjoy it as well.
One of my son’s favorite things to make is sugar cookie cut-outs, specifically Halloween shapes, so we make them a ton.
I “created” this recipe a couple years ago, messing around in the kitchen when I didn’t have everything to make whatever recipe I had had from the year prior. It has quickly become one of my favorites and takes no refrigeration. It works great for cut-outs or just tossed on the sheet rolled into balls.
- 1 cup softened butter, unsalted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F
- IN a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture; mix well
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well
- Divide dough into two balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball until 1/8 inch thick for cookie cut-outs
- Bake for 8-11 minutes
You can use butter cream icing, but I enjoy the Royal Icing the best.
My favorite way to make Royal Icing is to combine a bit of vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar (to desired consistency), divide and add whatever color, and decorate with my small decorating bottles. =]