For the past few years, I’ve been buying premade advent calendars, usually full of toys; Legos, Tsum Tsums, etc. The kids really enjoyed them, they’re fun little things to count down until Christmas. But! I am so, so, sick of toys being everywhere and add in the fact that they get new toys for Christmas anyways.. yeah.
For this year, I decided I’d make my own. Well, let me clarify. I actually bought these cute little numbered holiday bags from Amazon for under $10. They are an awesome size and can be hung just about anywhere.
My plan is to fill them and hang them around the house for the kids to find, one day at a time.
Now, when I say fill them, I don’t mean full of toys. Been there, done that. Don’t get me wrong, a few days will have small toys in them; toy cars, Legos, etc. And some will have chocolates in them. But there will also be little notes/tasks for my children to do.
A good portion of the items that I picked up, so far, to go in the baggies I’ve actually found at my local Dollar Tree. I picked up cute kitchen utensils for each child to help make the cookies for the cookie exchange. Everything to make snow globes, from the Dollar Tree. Santa/snowman shaped Hershey’s chocolate bars… the Dollar Tree.
The filler items do not have to be expensive. 🙂
My “calendar” looks something like this:
- Put up and decorate the Christmas Tree and decorate the house *Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cake
- Christmas photos, with a chocolate
- Make a Christmas music playlist
- Christmas/holiday Craft
- Small toy *Hotwheel
- Mail out Christmas cards and school photos
- Picnic under the Christmas tree
- Small giftcard
- Gingerbread house
- Make treats for local first responders and neighbors*
- Deliver treats for first responders and neighbors
- Small toy *
- Donate to local animal shelter & homeless shelter
- Build a snowman
- Small toy *Lego Mini-Fig
- Toys for Tots/Angel Tree donation
- Christmas stickers
- Small toy *
- Bake Christmas treats for exchange *
- Christmas sweets/book exchange
- Stay up late watching Christmas movies in our PJs
- Drive around to check out Christmas lights
- Christmas presents and stockings!!
- Christmas Day!! Special christmas breakfast *Frenchtoast
The kids are excited and I’ve already started stuffing them with notes and things. Of course you can do more of one thing, or none of another.
This is a fun tradition I hope to keep going for years to come.
What traditions do you and your family have? Do you buy an advent calendar? Make one? Tell us in the comments!!
**We are not affiliated with or paid by Amazon, the Dollar Tree, or any company mentioned in this post.**